New Moon 16º18′ Cancer Monday July 8th
12:14am PDT / 3:15am EDT / 7:15amGMT
Since the Moon rules Cancer, this New Moon is especially potent. Cancer is the cardinal water sign. All cardinal signs usher in the new season; they invite creativity, leadership and spontaneity. With Cancer in particular, we get to look at these qualities in our emotional lives, making this is a perfect time to focus our intentions on all of our relationships, as well as on self-love and the home (your home, and our home — Mother Earth). This is a wonderful time to go out into nature and connect directly with the Heart of the Earth, feel the grounding, feel the support, feel the peace.
Mercury Retrograde (it’s okay, calm down, really!)
This New Moon in Cancer is conjunct Mercury retrograde (June 26–July 21), an excellent time to do some mending and home repairs. This energy invites being painstaking and methodical, mending things with skill and craft in the home, in your office. This retrograde may feel different than usual, because the emotional component gifts us with the ability to deal with the usual trickster changes and challenges with more grace and ease than usual. Which is very good because as usual, we will have lots of opportunities for do-overs. If you can avoid setting fire to the drapes because you got caught up in the drama, you may be able to tap the patience that usually leaves the building when we’re in this retrograde.
This Summer’s Watery Grand Trine
All the interior planets (Mercury, Venus, Moon, Sun, Jupiter and later Mars) have been moving through Cancer since June, each in its turn making up the third leg of a grand water trine along with Saturn in Scorpio and Neptune in Pisces. This is a big blessing. Water trines invite your fluidity and openness; you may find yourself connecting heart-to-heart with more ease.
The Pluto-Uranus Square
This New Moon is also opposite Pluto in Capricorn and square Uranus in Aries, the planets of death and revolution, transformation and innovation, letting go of the old so the new can be born. And yet, while the universe may be sending us challenges all month, it is also blessing us with this powerful energy that can heal us on the deepest levels.
Sunlight streams on the river stones.
From high above, the river steadily plunges—
three thousand feet of sparkling water—
the Milky Way pouring down from heaven.
Suggestions for your New Moon working, for your business, for your body, for your soul:
The New Moon moment is when the Moon (our inner selves, our emotions and our past) merge with this now moment (the Sun) — a reset point, a moment to set intentions for the next Moon cycle. Take some time, as close to the actual New Moon as you can to do this work. (Any time in the three-day window of Sunday through Tuesday will work just fine.)
You can work at your altar, or be outside, or any place you feel connected to Spirit. Pick the one question below that resonates the strongest for you in this moment and take some time with it. Meditate, journal, collage, make a mandala. Give yourself this gift, for it’s from this New Moon vantage point we can find clarity about what needs to be addressed, what is truly important, what matters most, for this upcoming lunation.
- How do you fully express your emotional self in your business? Are there scenarios where you shut down? How can you trust your heart, how can you be transparent and be of service and earn your abundant living all at the same time?
- How do you show up for nurturing, and for being nurtured? How do you express loving appreciation for the beautiful people who are in your life? How do you acknowledge and appreciate all they do for you?
- How do you maintain balance in your life and take exquisite care of yourself? Is your self-care providing the fuel, and rest, and strength, and flexibility that allow you to be your best every day?
How are you dropping into the energy of this Cancer New Moon? Please let me know in the comments.
I have so much gratitude to share with you!
- I am grateful for beautiful summer days. Lately it’s been quite cool here. Cool, sunny and gorgeous!
- I am grateful to have been so inspired by Cassandra’s article about creating an inspiration altar that I created one for myself. There it is in the photo. I light the candle and dedicate my writing, my client sessions, to the greatest good. What a wonderful thing I can look at right in front of where I work every day.
- I am grateful for my neighbor stopping me in my busy-ness and inviting me to sit with her and watch the bees earlier this evening. We watched them come back to their hives after their busy day, with pollen packed around their legs. I think I fell in love with bees today.
- I am grateful for hours with friends this afternoon, playing Mah Jongg. I actually won two rounds. Woot!
- I am grateful for July’s blackberries. Each day there are some in ripe perfection right outside my front door or behind the henhouse.
- I am grateful for the squash growing and coming ripe in the garden. I changed up the way I grill them, cut them smaller, they taste crisp like summer squash chips. Yum!
- I am grateful for the work I’m doing in a sacred collaboration to co-teach a course early next year. Exciting!
- I am grateful for getting through another July 4th in the ‘hood. Rockets, guns, automatic weapons, what sound like bazookas. For hours and hours and hours. Earbuds in helped a bit. Watched movies the whole night. Not much sleep that night.
- I am grateful for a lovely party here on the Fourth. Great food, good people, live music. Sweet.
- I am grateful for you!
Please jump into the conversation! Leave a comment and tell me what moves you to gratitude today.