“We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” — Cynthia Ozick, American short story writer, novelist, and essayist
To my sisters in gratitude:
I get that we are doing something very audacious here. When others in my life mention gratitude, and I tell them in conversation about my own gratitude practice and the delightful group of Gratitude Challengers I hear from regularly, well, people’s eyes just bug out!
Not only do I think we are doing something audacious and sassy, I think we are doing something powerful and necessary.
With all the tough stuff that is going on everywhere, with situations so challenging, I think that every moment a woman sinks into her gratitude, in spite of everything, is a transformational moment, the effects of which ripple and ripple out to touch—in a very healing way—every person with whom it (the gratitude) and she (the woman) comes in contact.
I believe this to be so.
I know this to be so.
Today I am grateful.
- I am grateful for great acupuncture and bodywork. Although acupuncture is bodywork, if you think about it. So I guess I’m just grateful for great bodywork.
- I am grateful that I am a daily walker. My walk today was in the Old Oakland farmers market and through Chinatown. About the lemons: There were about three or four vendors in a row with lemons on a blanket. In piles of five. One vendor had a blanket of jade figures and another blanket with five onions. I am sure this all means something but I have no idea what.
- I am grateful for finding yet another cheap dim sum (50¢ apiece) restaurant. This one even had teapots, hot water and loose tea. Whoa. I could spend a long time in this place!
- I am grateful for the incredibly gorgeous weather.
- I am grateful for remembering what I was like in my 20s. Helps me, a little, as I go through this painful time of not knowing where my daughter is, or how she’s doing. I think there were many weeks, and months, when my parents had no idea where I was. Sigh.
- I am grateful for being an artist. And a maker. I ordered supplies today to make my own amber solid perfume.
- I am grateful that my top-secret gift project is moving along.
- I am grateful for time spent with Rowan yesterday.
- I am grateful for my walk by the bay yesterday. Another gorgeous day!
- I am grateful for the practice of gratitude.
And for my gratitude challengers:
Amanda said she’s grateful for a husband that is able to make a 4pm weekday baby doctor’s appointment
Belinda for getting enough sleep and waking up to a sunny day—enjoying my clean kitchen, which feels like a good place to be. Realizing that it is a good place because of all the good living I have done in it. It feels good.
Barbara for noticing that my hurt feelings inside that I am blaming on everyone else is really my own stuff that I have to work on
Powerful, ladies! You inspire me.
Love and blessings,