How do you own the joy in the journey when you can’t see the path?
Change happens, and sometimes we don’t know where we’ll end up. Sometimes we can’t even see the path!
When the steps you take, the decisions you make, and the outcomes are unclear, how do you stay grounded, how do you wrap yourself in ease, and how do you claim and own the joy in the journey?
There has been a lot of “even if” and “no matter what” in my teaching and writing these days. Because of course.
I’m in a transition. Change is happening — unexpected and unrequested. Big change. I have to move my home and office and I don’t know where I’ll end up or how I’ll get there.
I’ve been moving through the stages of change and it hasn’t been pretty. I’ve been significantly less than graceful. I admit it. Resistance. Anger. Sadness. Self-pity. Seeing this change as a heavy burden. When I began to take action, I did so with conditions. “It should be this way.” “It should look like this.”
It has taken some time (and I’m not fully cooked, this is a process!) to even consider embracing this change, and accepting the mystery of this journey with an open and joyful heart.
I’ve changed my relationship to this journey.
Here’s where I am today:
- I trust that the right and perfect outcome is already written and my job is simply to keep putting one foot in front of the other with a positive attitude.
- I am standing sovereign in the mystery.
- In my spiritual practices, I ask for and receive compassionate and loving reminders that I’m not doing this alone — I am wrapped in the safety and love of the Divine.
- I intentionally set aside time each week to joyfully do the tasks that move me forward in the direction of my next wonderful place to live and work. I choose the tasks and conversations that light me up; I don’t have to follow every lead!
- I stay balanced and maintain — and even improve! — wellbeing as I go.
How do you handle changes in your business, your life, your livelihood?
Did I leave anything out? Are there any practices that have served you well in times of change? Please share in the comments!
Mercury retrograde is over, and the Gemini New Moon breathes freshness and change.
New Moon in Gemini
Tuesday, June 16th
7:05 am Pacific
10:05 am Eastern
This New Moon supports change and forward movement (phew!)
It can feel like the Gemini twins are pulling you in more than one direction. Here’s the good news: that same energy allows you to expand and consider different options — options that may seem baffling, even contradictory on the surface.
For me this manifests as being able to pursue these options (and these are just the ones I know about already!):
- Finding another place here in this area on my own
- Find a terrific share situation with a housemate
- Research moving out of the area to a place that may be even better for me than my beloved Bay Area — Hawaii is the top contender so far.
Suggestions for your New Moon ritual and intention setting
- What do I believe about change? How can I shift those beliefs so that I can embrace change with joy?
- Am I open to receiving and acting upon unexpected and even unrequested input, changes, and invitations?
- What is my relationship to change in my business, my life, and my livelihood? What stands in the way of standing sovereign and trusting the process, even when I can’t see the path or the outcome?
How will you intentionally shift away from what’s holding you back and begin to feel the joy in the journey, yes, even if….? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.