Mercury retrograde (Merc Rx) is a big pain in my ass today
Don’t get me wrong; I rarely complain about a Mercury retrograde.
In fact I have learned to love these periods, and celebrate them as times to rethink, recalibrate, recharge, renew, revise…. You see the theme, right? Mercury retrograde invites you to quiet down the outer activity and do some of the inner work (think words that start with “re-“) that will make the next actions you choose to take manifest with more ease, be more productive, and lead to more abundant rewards.
But not today.
I got up early to go get my car smog-checked. My car registration is due this week. I left an hour before a client appointment to get this done. This happened:
- I called the place I had chosen on Yelp. They don’t do smog any more but kindly told me where I can go to get smogged.
- I looked to make sure I had my registration renewal form. I looked in my purse, where it should be. No form. I tore my office apart three times. No form. I looked upstairs in my bedroom (where I would never bring something like this). No form. Looked everywhere in my office again! Called Motor Vehicles, and while on a 20-minute hold looked in my purse again. Found the form!
- I mapped the location of the smog shop, and Google Maps took me to the wrong place. They directed me to S. 23rd Street. The shop is on 23rd Street. Either the address was wrong online or I typed it in wrong. Two U-turns at long lights.
- Goddess smiled, smog took eight minutes so I got to the client meeting in time.
- Client didn’t show up.
- Decided to grill some veggies before next client appointment. Ran out of propane mid-grilling. Changed out the tank.
- Client was late for the call.
The lesson and the blessing.
I was on time (barely!) for everything. I had yummy grilled sweet potatoes to eat. I got everything done and will get my registration payment to Motor Vehicles on time.
Here’s the lesson, which I learned long ago:
I was on time because I leave more room than I need in my schedule for everything, and I do that all the time, not just when Mercury retrograde is in da house. In case I ever begin to think I’m leaving too much of a “shoulder” between events in my calendar, I will remember today, and keep doing what I do. This practice saved my ass today, has saved my ass many times in the past, and is a keeper.
Take that, Mercury retrograde!
How do you ensure that snafus (Mercury retrograde–related or not) don’t mess you up? What practices allow for your ease when shit happens? I’d love to know. Please share with me in the comments.