Here’s one powerful way to free yourself from perfectionist paralysis
And actually get your stuff out there so the people who need it can receive it, see it, and use it!
If you find yourself getting trapped in writing, re-writing, planning, replanning, delaying launch dates, and then delaying them again — your inner perfectionist may be holding you back. So far back that you wonder if you’ll ever get what you know you are meant to offer out of your head and into the hands, head, and heart of the people you are here to help.
Shift from ready-set-go to ready-go-reset.
And then reset and go again, as many times as you need to.
I’m getting ready to launch a new part of the #ShareYourMagic movement called Conscious Collaboration. (The “Let’s-do this!” announcement with live links is coming, as soon as everything is ready, hopefully in a week — I have let go of perfectionism, just need to get the many pieces in place!).
I’ve written an eBook, and I’m offering a Facebook group as well where we can learn from each other and support each other in our social networking. This is very exciting! And yet, I find myself a full month behind my original launch date. Here’s what I’ve noticed:
- Perfectionism paralysis: Until last week I didn’t even realize that my fiddling and fiddling and fiddling some more with the words and the design was keeping me from moving down the launch list.
- What do I do first? I let my confusion about what to do first stop me from doing anything much at all! Yes it’s true that if I change my opt-in I must also change settings on my email provider, and language on my Thank You pages, and more. But not knowing what to do first is a really bad reason to delay moving ahead!
- What if it’s not perfect? It won’t be. No matter how many times I proofread, and my editors proofread…. No matter how many times I tweak the design and the examples…. something will certainly be wrong, and more than one thing will certainly benefit from being revised.
That’s where the shift comes in.
The ready-set-go model can keep you stuck in perfectionism paralysis. You prepare (ready), and tweak and tweak and edit and proofread and tweak some more (set, set, set, set, set….), until you finally Go! And then you think it should be done and done, and nevermore revisited, or reset. Takes forever, and leaves you stuck.
Instead, try this: Shift to ready-go-reset!
- Ready: prepare and execute. Do your outlines. Do your research. Gather your thoughts. Plan a timeline. Write it. Check it. Do your best with your launch list.
- Go: send it out into the world. Celebrate. Gather the feedback. When the time feels right, take another look. And…
- Reset. Make the changes that need to be made. Revise with the understanding and wisdom you’ve gleaned from the way the material was received and understood. And go again.
Lather-rinse-repeat. This keeps your work living, breathing, dynamic, and responsive. Over time your resets will get spaced farther apart. And you will get better, quicker, and more nimble at creation and launching.
What about you? What have you learned? Please share your wisdom and questions in the comments. Blessed be!